The public is being asked to head out and support their local watering hole by voting for (and consuming) their favourite pub burger.
Voting opens for the SA Pub Burger Challenge
Voting has opened across South Australia, as the hunt for the state’s best pub burger commences.
SA Pub Burger Challenge
Voting is open now, until 7 December.
Vote for your favourite burger here.
This article was produced in collaboration with AHA|SA.
AHA|SA General Manager Ian Horne said that the voting couldn’t have come at a better time as pubs and hotels across the state struggle under the continued COVID-19 restrictions.
“Frustratingly the SA hotel industry has had many disruptions over recent months and weeks, but we must ensure that patrons keep supporting our local venues and their staff,” Ian says.
“We encourage people to get into hotels, taste their burgers and take a photo enjoying the experience! It’s what the industry is about.”
The annual competition is usually decided by a panel of judges on an afternoon, but after the disruption of 2020, the AHA|SA decided to open voting to the public to decide between the 12 finalists it shortlisted in March before the COVID-19 restrictions hit.
Voters in the People’s Choice award will also be in the running to win one of two $100 vouchers donated by AHA|SA to spend at one of the 12 finalist hotels.
By simply voting online before the contest ends at midnight on Monday, December 7, you will go into the draw for the first $100 voucher.
To have a chance at the second $100 prize, simply take a photo of yourself enjoying your favourite finalist burger and share on Instagram with #sapubburger before voting closes.
Ian encourages people to book a table and enjoy any of the 12 finalists’ burgers before voting.
“Support your local and get voting!” Ian says.
The 12 final burgers have been chosen based on their taste, presentation, meat patty content and value for money. Each burger patty must be made on-site from minced or shredded beef or lamb (Beyond Burgers need not apply), have a bun and cost no more than $25, including GST.
The 12 hotel finalists, which you can vote for here, are:
- Alma Tavern, Norwood – ALMA ROYALE WITH CHEESE House made 200g Angus beef patty, grilled halloumi cheese, caramelised red onion, sliced tomato, cos, aioli, Alma house-spiced pickles & Alma ketchup $22
- Exchange Hotel, Gawler – GRAVEDIGGERS BURGER Brioche bun, smashed beef patty, grilled bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, beetroot, BBQ sauce, ranch sauce $23
- Feathers Hotel – WAGYU BURGER Seasoned Wagyu beef burger served with smoked bacon, American burger cheese, tomato, Ant’s relish, lettuce, pickles, chipotle mayonnaise $24
- Golden Wattle Hotel – CHUCK BRISKET PATTY Hand-pressed with cheese, streaky bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, BBQ and ranch sauce, cooked over red gum $19
- Goodwood Park Hotel – PRIME BEEF BURGER Beef patty, American cheddar, bacon, pickles, caramelised onion, mustard mayonnaise $20
- Highlander Hotel – House-made beef patty, cheese, bacon, tomato, lettuce, burger sauce $20
- Pretoria Hotel, Mannum – PRETORIA BEEF BURGER Ground brisket and topside patty, bacon, caramelised onion, lettuce, tomato, cheddar, Dijonnaise, smoky BBQ sauce, on a milk bun $20
- Sussex Hotel – SUSSEX BURGER Beef brisket, Barossa smoked bacon, Provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, house sauce $22
- The Rosey – DON BRADMAN BURGER Double prime beef patty, double bacon, double cheese, grilled onion, egg, lettuce, tomato, aioli, relish and bourbon BBQ sauce $22
- Torrens Arms Hotel – TA BEEF BURGER Chuck mince patty, red Leicester cheese, dill pickles, pickled red onions, streaky bacon, oak lettuce and smoked paprika aioli on a Turkish burger bun, served with chips $20
- V Hotel Virginia – V BURGER Chargrilled house-made beef patty, smoked bacon, double cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle, mustard and tomato sauce on a sesame seed brioche bun with chips $20
- Walkers Arms Hotel – ANGUS BEEF BURGER House-made Angus beef patty with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, sweet mustard aioli and pickle on a brioche bun $21
CityMag‘s sister publication InDaily is the media partner of the AHA|SA Pub Burger Challenge, which is sponsored by Holco Fine Meat Suppliers, a subsidiary of Thomas Foods International.